Osgoode Hall Law School

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Osgoode Hall Law School

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1889-

History

Osgoode Hall Law School, the teaching arm of the Law Society of Upper Canada, admitted its first students in 1889, and affiliated with York University in 1968 beginning classes on the York campus in September 1969. In its first year the new law school introduced the semester system of teaching and attempted to integrate itself into the university by offering joint course with the faculties of Arts & Science and Administrative Studies.
Student representatives were admitted to the Faculty Council in keeping with York' s policy of student participation in university government. The move to York coincided with the expansion of the library what now is the largest law library in the British Commonwealth.
The Law School is administered by a Dean, an Associate Dean with responsibility for the academic programme, and two Assistant Deans, the one responsible for student counselling, the other with responsibility for some aspects of the administration of the first year programme, admissions and computers. There is a Director of the Graduate Programme, a Director of Clinical Education (with responsibility for Parkdale Legal Aid Clinic), and a Co-Director of the M.B.A./LL.B. programme. In addition, there is a Faculty Council which advises on curriculum, admissions and academic policy.
Osgoode Hall offers the LL.B., LL.M. and D.Jur. degrees in law, as well as joint LL.B./M.B.A. (M.P.A.) degrees with the Faculty of Administrative Studies, and the LL.B./M.E.S. degree with the Faculty of Environmental Studies. The School also operates the York University Centre for Public Law and Public Policy, a research institute sponsoring major research projects and conferences, and the Institute for Feminist Legal Studies. The School publishes the 'Osgoode Hall Law Journal', and sponsors several annual lectures and events on aspects of the law. The School also produces 'Continuum', a newsletter for alumni.
The Legal and Literary Society serves as the student council, and there are several student societies geared to various ethnic, political, religious and social interests. The student-run Community Legal Aid Services Programme (CLASP) operates a community legal clinic at Osgoode as well as the Parkdale Legal Aid Clinic in downtown Toronto. The student newspaper, 'Obiter Dicta ', is published weekly.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Final

Level of detail

Full

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2019/06/11 J. Grant. Creation.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC