University Women's Club of North York

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

University Women's Club of North York

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1951-

History

The University Women's Club of North York received its charter as the first suburban club and 70th member of the Canadian Federation of University Women in October 1951. The impetus for the establishment of this club came from Grace Morgan in conversation with some of her apartment building neighbours. These initial discussions led to an organizational meeting attended by Morgan and nine others at her home on October 18. The inaugural meeting, attended by 20 graduates, was held on October 31 and officers were elected including Margaret Wright as the first President and Morgan as Honourary President. In a short time, membership was up to 53 and this increased to 400 by 1976. The UWCNY offers a variety of opportunities for the intellectual enrichment of its members through general meetings, lectures, study and interest groups in areas such as money management, current events, art appreciation and book studies. Since 1954, through its scholarship fund, the club provides bursaries and awards to local area female students attending post-secondary institutions.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2014/06/24 Migrated to AtoM.
2018/06/19 KCP. Added dates.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC