York University historical collection
- 1885-2006, predominant 1970-2006
The collection consists of correspondence, photographs, genealogical charts, family histories, newspaper clippings, publications and related material detailing the history of the site on which the Keele Street campus of York University now stands; correspondence and newspaper clippings relating to the search for the grave site of Peter Erlin Kaiser and a photocopy of his Last Will and Testament; a genealogy and a history of the Kaiser family of Ontario (1933); copies of articles on the Palatine settlements in York County and Upper Canada; a publication, 'An account of the Boynton family and the family seat of Burton Agnes,' (1914); material on the Smith family (Hoover relations), correspondence seeking information from descendants of the Hoover family with responses, Hoover genealogies and material on the Troyer family genealogy (Hoover descendants); biographical material on York pioneers, correspondence, archaeological reports, copies of campus and survey maps and of architectural renderings of the Hart, Hoover, and Stong buildings on the University campus; obituary notices for the last surviving member of the Stong family who lived on the property, a copy of a genealogy of the family and a photocopy of a history of the church that was located on the property (by T.E. Kaiser);a newspaper article concerning Hart House, a building on the York campus which was relocated there in the 1930s from King Township, material related to the 40th anniversary celebrations of York University in 1999 and the York University Faculty Association strike of 1997, as well as other material details of which are available in the finding aid. Accession 2009-019 includes an album of presentation photographs taken by Panda Associates showing Founders College, Steacie Science Library, the Farquharson Life Sciences Building, Burton Auditorium and the Central Utilities Building likely during the 1960s, as well as photographs and textual material regarding the dedication of the Scott Library on 30 October 1971.
York University Archives and Special Collections